Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recycle People! And learn about it too!!





I got to go with Zaky on his little fieldtrip today and it was actually REALLY cool! :-)



We took a trip with his class to the local recycling facility. I think I had more questions then some of the kids in the class!!!



We try very hard at home to educate the kiddos on the idea of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" daily around here... We try to make it fun for the kids and also educational as well... little Zane even knows how to sort the recyclables now!



Anywho's... I thought it was great to go and find out what happens to our recycled materials after they leave the curb in front of our house... most adults have this concept of "out of sight, out of mind". Not me anymore... I now know exactly where the stuff goes, how it's sorted, what "numbers" actually mean on the bottom of plastics, what it's turned into, etc., etc....
I was actually mildly disappointed when I found out where this awesome basket comes from... yes, it's made from recycled newspapers BUT it's made and sold at Pier 1. Blah.... I need to find that article I read once... how to make a basket/bowl out of recycled magazine pages...
This is a cool project for kiddos learning letters... it's made from the caps of recyclable bottles... stick a magnet on the back, cut out a piece of paper and put a letter on it, then stick it in the cap... awesome! Home made Leap Frog toys!!
This purse was kinda neat for the girly girls out there.... made out of used capri sun juices... they can't be recycled but they sure can be sewn together and reused!!!
There are a lot ways to practice the life of the three R's... have fun!

4 comments:

Jack said...

That sounds like a really fun trip. Not only educational, but downright cool.

Jack

http://adventuresinvoluntarysimplicity.blogspot.com/

ChiTown Girl said...

I have been using milk caps in my classroom for as long as I can remember! I'm so glad that was one of the uses they showed! I mostly use them for counters, but I have hundreds with letters on them. The kids can match upper and lowercase letters, or the same letters, or they can spell things with the letters. The funniest thing is they actually FIGHT over who gets to use them. They're garbage, kiddos!! Too funny!

Me said...

Jack and Chitown,

We've really been into "reduce, reuse, recycle" with the kiddos lately... more then we probably should be... but it's a great trait for our children to have growing up...

Jack,

It was cool... very cool... and of course, I was happy to be the "cool" mom along for the trip :-)

chitown,

Seriously, I have never thought of using them that way! you're awesome for doing it before it was a "cool" thing to do! :-) BTW, I need to get on that donation thing... I'll be on it by thursday... promise!

rachaelgking said...

Aw, what a great idea for a field trip! I know I used to love any excuse to get out of class... and it's educational AND green, too!