Monday, November 23, 2009

The Art in me....


So, I did the painting for charity last week and I think it's started something brewing in me....
I sometimes forget myself. I forget the things I used to enjoy doing.... things that I spent time and money on studying in high school and college... I get so wrapped up in everyday life that sometimes, I even forget to pee! But, that's besides the point :)
I have studied art. I USED to enjoy painting and drawing and charcoal... you name it, I did it.
The only problem for me was the art itself. You see I'm one of those people that believe different things about art. For starters, I've never taken art history. Sure, it is important to study art, however I don't like it when people force interpretations of artwork down my throat. I FIRMLY believe that not every painting out there has a reason.... the Mona Lisa? Maybe there was NO reason behind the painting. Maybe it was just what da Vinci FELT like painting that day! Another belief? I think art should be touched. Yes, yes, yes, I understand that the oils in our fingers can damage some art work but art is beautiful... I love touching paintings and feeling the texture, the brush strokes, the canvas....
Due to these and other reasons, all my work was packed away when I became a mother.... The term "Starving Artist" was so named for a reason... I looked at my little Zakari and realized that I wanted a steady job that provided for him, not a job that may or may never evolve into something...
BUT...
this weekend
I went down stairs and looked at my portfolio again.
So tell me what you think?
Maybe I'll start painting again :)

This is a portrait of myself pregnant with Izeah


Charcoal drawing of me pregnant again

My hair has always been a good color point in art :)

This is a replication of a piece by Henri Matisse... sorry, can't claim it as origional :)

Faces are difficult for me so I've practiced them... ALOT.

My very first nude

This is a piece that I had to draw with one pen stroke... if you look close, it's all connected.
I love the human body!


More faces...

Geometric shapes...

Still life, watercolor and acrylic

Line drawing and pointillism

I love hands too...

Self portrait :)


2 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

GORGEOUS!

I hope you'll find a way to explore your artistic side again.

ButterflysDance said...

Please let your art come alive!!! It's you and you are good at it. I like this portfolio.