Thursday, January 10, 2008

Menarche Ritual

One of my good friends called me the other day and gave me some great news :-) Her daughter started her period! I know some of you might think that is odd but I was happy she shared that special time in her and her daughters life with me....
She also invited me to participate in a menarche ritual for her daughter. I felt very honored to be asked to be at this rite of passage for both of them and also at the same time very intrigued by this ritual. It sent me off in a tizzy! I don't have daughters, I have sons and I can not do the same for them but it is a wonderful thing to still learn about and be part of....

Most woman in modern society are not able or informed enough to celebrate this passage into womanhood with feelings of joy and knowledge of knowing just how important this is to the body, the earth, and most of all, to mankind. I found some very insteresting reading in my search to educate myself a bit more and I wanted to share these with you if any are interested in reading. What different cultures do around the world is phenomenal, some better then others but all the same, it is more recognized culturally then here in our own developed nation. I praise and respect my friend even more for being culturally aware and empowering of her own female self and her daughter's....






I'm sure there is more but I found points in these articles interesting and enlightening.... and i especially loved this little mantra:

To end with a rejoicing song, sung by the Apache people during the maturation ceremony,"Now you are entering the world.You will become adult with responsibilities...Walk with honour and dignity.Be strong!For you are the mother of our people...For you will become the mother of a nation."

1 comment:

hotflawedmama said...

So glad you commented on my blog! Can't have too many blogs to read. Getting excited to know you better too!